Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government


The Public Right-of-Way Accessibility Guidelines (PROWAG) rulemaking has concluded. The PROWAG final rule has been published in the Federal Register. Please visit the Access Board’s PROWAG page for the guidelines.

File an Architectural Barriers Act Complaint


The Access Board enforces accessibility standards issued under the Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 (ABA). The ABA requires that buildings or facilities that were constructed or altered by or on behalf of the United States, or leased or financed in whole or in part by the United States, after August 12, 1968, be accessible to individuals with physical disabilities. The Access Board enforces the ABA through the investigation of complaints.

When to File an ABA Complaint

You should file an ABA complaint if you have encountered or are aware of an accessibility barrier at a building or facility covered by the ABA. Examples include U.S. post offices, Veterans Affairs medical facilities, national parks, Social Security Administration offices, federal office buildings, U.S. courthouses, and federal prisons.

These facilities must meet standards for accessible design, which indicate where access is required and provide detailed specifications for ramps, parking, doors, elevators, restrooms, assistive listening systems, fire alarms, signs, and other accessible building elements.

When Not to File an ABA Complaint

Do not file an ABA complaint if your concerns are related to something other than the accessibility of covered buildings (e.g., COVID protocols, employment benefits, health insurance, taxes). If your concerns are about the accessibility of state or local government facilities, or places of public accommodation (e.g., movie theaters, restaurants, hotels), or if you believe you have been discriminated against based on your race, color, national origin, disability status, sex, religion, or familial status, file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice using its Civil Rights Reporting Portal. For information on other Federal laws that address accessibility and protect the rights of people with disabilities, please refer to these other resources.

How to File an ABA Complaint

  1. Online ABA Complaint Form recommended
  2. E-mail:
  3. Fax: 202-272-0081
  4. Mail: U.S. Access Board, 1331 F Street, NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20004

Complaints cannot be filed by phone, but if you are unable to file online or by e-mail due to a disability, call 202-272-0050 (voice).