Inclusive Design of Autonomous Vehicles: A Public Dialogue
Series Platform and Format
The forum was conducted through the Zoom webinar. The forum’s four sessions were held in intervals of two weeks. Each 90-minute webinar discussion was recorded and supplemented by an online crowdsourcing dialogue platform that was be active for two weeks after each session. The sessions began with presentations by agency representatives and invited speakers who will reviewed relevant sources and research and outline issues and questions for discussion. These presentations will be followed by an open dialogue with attendees through the webinar platform.
Accessibility for Passengers with Mobility Disabilities: Part 1
Session I Presenters
<iframe class=”margin-x-10”title=”Welcome message from Pete Buttigieg” width=”373” height=”210” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/WPP4s413T6k” frameborder=”0” allowfullscreen=”true” allow=”accelerometer; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture”> Introduction Video </iframe>
- Pete Buttigieg, Secretary of Transportation
- Robin Hutcheson, DOT Deputy Assistant Secretary for Safety Policy
- Gregory S. Fehribach, Chair of the U.S. Access Board
- Randall Duchesneau, U.S. Access Board
- Dr. Victor Paquet, University at Buffalo
- Amy Schoppman, National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association
- Kevin Frayne, BraunAbility
Accessibility for Passengers with Mobility Disabilities: Part 2
This session addressed maneuvering and securement in vehicles and continued discussion of entering and exiting autonomous vehicles.
March 24, 2021, 2:00 – 3:30 (ET)
Recording of Session 2
Presentation Materials from Session 2: PDF, 6MB
Session II Presenters
- Jennifer Sheehy, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Scott Windley, U.S. Access Board
- Bryan Brilhart, Robotic Research
- Dr. Kathleen D. Klinich and Miriam A. Manary, University of Michigan
- Dr. Jordana Maisel, University at Buffalo
Accessibility for Passengers with Sensory and Cognitive Disabilities: Part 1
This session addressed ride hailing and on-board communication for passengers with hearing, visual, or cognitive disabilities.
April 7, 2021, 2:00 – 3:30 (ET)
Recording of Session 3
Presentation Materials for Session 3: PDF, 6MB
Session III Presenters
- Dr. Cecilia Feeley and Andrea Lubin, Rutgers University
- Dr. Robin Brewer, University of Michigan
- Anil Lewis, National Federation of the Blind
- Dr. Christian Vogler, Gallaudet University; Director, Technology Access Program Research Group
Accessibility for Passengers with Sensory and Cognitive Disabilities: Part 2
This session continued discussion of communication accessibility in hailing and interacting with autonomous vehicles for passengers with hearing, visual, or cognitive disabilities.
April 21, 2021, 2:00 – 3:30 (ET)
Recording of Session 4
Presentation Materials for Session 4: PDF, 3MB
Session IV Presenters
- Karen Tamley, Public Member of the U.S. Access Board
- Dr. Aaron Steinfeld, Carnegie Mellon University
- Dr. Gregg Vanderheiden, University of Maryland
- Darryl Cooper, Disability Rights Office, Federal Communications Commission
- Ted Guild, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- Bruce Bailey, U.S. Access Board
For More Information
Additional resources and details will be posted on the Access Board AV landing page (access-board.gov/av as they become available. You can sign up to receive details and other updates on the sessions by email.
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.