Criteria for Sorting Impacts as Major or Minor
Impacts are measured in comparison to the baseline of industry practice in the absence of PVAG.
- What is the impact?
- Are features added to ship that would not otherwise be provided (e.g., visual alarms)?
- Are features required in greater number than would otherwise be provided (e.g., accessible guest rooms, assistive listening systems)?
- Do required features reduce space used for other purposes (e.g., wheelchair spaces in assembly areas)?
- Do required features present design challenges?
- Is it feasible to estimate a unit cost for the impact?
- Major impacts:
- Unit costs exceed certain value
- Increases total construction cost by certain percent
- Present difficult or significant design challenges
- Minor impacts:
- Minimal cost
- Can be easily accommodated in vessel design