Pharma-See from Digit-Eyes is a unique software app for the iPhone, iPod and iPad that enables people who have problems reading to identify prescription containers by using bar codes. This includes people who are blind or low-vision, people who are dyslexic and those who have lost the ability to read through stroke or injury as well as people who simply are not literate.
Digit-Eyes uses QR codes in a novel manner to enable customers to record information on their iPhones, iPads or iPods and to play it back on demand ("audio labels") or to read QR code labels that contain text ("text labels") with any phone.
The Digit-Eyes technology for recognizing QR codes, recording and storing audio information and playing audio on the iOS devices has been in the market since 2010 and is stable and well proven. The scanner is omni-directional: it does not require the unsighted customer to orient the bar code in any particular fashion, only to have all of the code within the "view" of the camera.
The product is well-known and has been well accepted by the blind community.
The Digit-Eyes software speaks any one of ten languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.
Figure 1 sample QR text label
- Text labels are phone-readable QR ("quick response") codes that contain encoded alphabetic and numeric text content;
- Appropriate for pharmacies that can integrate code generation into their labeling process (such as mail order pharmacies);
- Text labels should be created during the process where labels are printed for the bottle;
- Labels should be placed in currently-unused space on the bottle (preferably the bottom). Codes should not be placed on the lid because lids can be mislaid or interchanged;
- Labels can be printed on standard 2-inch label stock;
- A 2-inch round label can contain about 400 characters of text. This should be the same or similar text as the visually-readable labels;
- Text content is voiced when the phone is passed over the code;
- Readable by any camera-equipped device that reads QR codes:
- Android phones and tablets;
- Nokia phones;
- iPhone, iPad and iPod.
- Recordable labels are special QR code labels that contain a code that triggers a recording process in an app on the iPhone, iPad or iPod;
- A special preprinted QR-code label containing a recording trigger code is affixed to the prescription container. Codes should not be placed on the lid because lids can be mislaid or interchanged;
- The customer can obtain a free copy of the app and install it on their iPhone, iPad or iPod;
- The customer at the pharmacy brings up the app on their preferred device and scans the code. The device displays and (if the customer is using VoiceOver, speaks) the term "record" in the language the customer uses on their phone;
- When the pharmacist is ready to inform the customer about their prescription, the customer holds up the i-device, touches "record", listens to the instructions and asks any questions;
- At home, the customer locates the label by touch, scans it and hears the pharmacist's instructions and the answers to any questions they may have asked;
- Custom-branded versions of the Pharma-See recording app are provided under standard licensing from Digit-Eyes;
- The functionality is also available as a licensed library that can be integrated into the pharmacy's own app.
- Free to Customer: Digit-Eyes Pharma-See app requires no investment on the part of the customer beyond the normal cost for their phone, iPod or iPad.
- Implementation Options to fit Every Business Model:
- Text labels for mail-order pharmacies;
- Audio labels for local pharmacies.
- Cost-Effective and Easy to Implement: The local pharmacy has no expense for the customer's hardware and assumes no responsibility for maintaining or replacing it;
- No investment in equipment located at the pharmacy;
- Minimal training for the pharmacy;
- When using audio labels, the cost to the pharmacy is a moderate per-store charge per month (typically less than $10/month in volume.) This includes the development of an app customized for pharmacy chain with unlimited free downloads for customers.
- An unlimited number of the proprietary Digit-Eyes QR-code labels can be printed by the pharmacy at no charge or pre-printed labels can be purchased at a minimal cost;
- The Digit-Eyes Pharma-See toolkit for developers is available for integration into the pharmacy's own app. Licensing terms vary with volume;
- No extra SKU pill bottles to purchase and inventory.
- Simple: Natively designed for "eyes-free" use, the app is very simple and is intuitive to use;
- Safe: Recordable labels used only once; this ensures the bottle cannot be mislabeled through re-recording of the message
- On-Hand: The phone is likely to be where the customer is;
- Accessible: The accessibility of the Apple products – iPhone, iPod and iPad -- is without parallel; many unsighted customers are already familiar with the features of the phone and won't require training or support;
- Sustainable: The iPhone, iPod and iPad are desirable and popular devices, as are other mobile phones. Unlike conventional special-purpose AT hardware, customers are unlikely to "forget" their phone or to abandon its use;
- Reliable: Phones are robust; it is unlikely to fail and leave customers unable access their prescription information;
- Replaceable: If the phone is lost, any audio recordings are restored from the user's iTunes account backup when the replacement phone is activated; no backup is required for text labels;
- Short Training Curve: The Digit-Eyes system is simple and intuitive, no time-consuming training required for busy Pharmacist Teams;
- Audio labels require no software Integration with the pharmacy software system: The pharmacy has no connection or integration into their software system at all.
- Personal: The customer has a positive and personal interaction with their pharmacy: one that they are reminded of each time that they take their medication;
- Risk-Free: at no time do the pharmacy's employees incur the liability of handling the customer's equipment.
Free download of Digit-Eyes for iPhone, iPod and iPad:
Code to scan